Home

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Citra IPA

Label: Citra IPA - BeerMaster Series
Type: IPA
ABV[%]: 6.5
Packaging: 650 ml bottle
Brewery: Dead Frog Breweries, Aldergrove, BC

Smell: Orange Peel, Hops
Head: Thick with a medium lacing
Color: light orange, clear
Carbonation: Mild to medium
Kick: Scream... Ahhh!!! .... not loud enough!
Rating: 7.5/10

Notes:
On the way to the airport while dropping off my in-laws, I had the pleasure of driving behind a black truck that had silver testicles dangling off the rear hitch. Now I've seen these before, but these were very shiny. I could not keep my eyes of them, thinking "why do people do this?", followed by "does he shine these things every night", spiralling downwards to "does he use his bare hands and mouth to shine them?". So, after nearly missing my turn-off and no longer hypnotized by these metallic swinging asymmetric squiggy sacks, my thoughts migrated to "i wonder where this dude is from... maybe Aldergrove".

Enter Dead Frog Breweries. These guys have a great lager and a nut brown ale which I frequently pick up. But they also make a few small batch brews and bottle them for local distribution. So they've already demonstrated that they can make some great session beers and seeing this bottle on the rack got me interested.

This has a smooth taste upfront, but then hits you with a hop and citrus orange peel blast after a second or two, followed by a tingy tongue and some funky-ass beer breath. It starts like a campfire on the beach but ends like a 1976 Megadeath concert (their first concert was on this day in 1976). The carbonation is mild so you get to soak in the hops. The alcohol bite is only slightly sharp, which is good if you like deception. I do. Bitches.

Post-note: this is about my 43 beer review.

No comments:

Post a Comment