Home

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Abominable Winter Ale

Label: Abominable Winter Ale
Type: Ale
ABV[%]: 7.3
Packaging: 750 ml Bottle
Brewery: Hop Works Urban Brewery, Oregon

Smell: hops and citrus with some spice
Head: creamy brown that lingers
Color: brownish
Carbonation: medium
Kick: Scotty, beam me up!
Rating: 7/10

Notes
I saw this bottle at my favorite beer store and the label made me teary-eyed remembering my days as a "yout" and watching the pathetically animated Christmas special "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer". My favorite character was the misunderstood abominable snowman. Poor guy. Nobody realized that his fuss is over a simple toothache. The beer label has a picture of a similar looking snowman. I had to stop myself from sobbing at the beer store. Pathetic.

This beer is full of hops and has a pleasant sweet aftertaste. Luke warm it goes down great so it would probably taste better slightly child. It has a strong finish. It has a variety of spices and, for me, maybe a tad too flavourful. But that might be intentional since it is a seasonal brew. 

You can't argue with this breweries passion for organic substances. It amazes me how different beers taste with organics ingredients. Ask me to compare the taste of organic vs. non-organic oranges and I'd be lost. But ask me to tell the difference in beer, well it is really quite amazing.

It claims of having 6 organic malts, and has a bitterness vale of 70 IBU. That seems about right. It's too bad we don't get many Oregon brews here in Canada. Maybe it is time for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment