Home

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Angry Scotch Ale

Label: Angry Scotch Ale
Type: dark ale
ABV[%]: 6.5
Packaging: 650 ml bottle
Brewery: Russell Breweries, Surrey BC

Smell: Roasted malts
Head: thick whitish brown
Color: chestnut brown
Carbonation: medium
Kick: G Force!
Rating: 9/10

Notes:
I was excited to find this bottle at the store as one of my favorite beers of the Victoria Beer Festival was from a limited batch keg of this beer. It was my hands down most memorable, and almost my favorite (I did not have a favourite since almost everything I tried I loved, and the more I drank, the more I loved that beer over the preceding one... Things just got too wanky after the first 10 glasses). I really like the staff pulling the pints (or glasses). They seemed like they gave a shit, and I had a nice chat with them about their brews. It was the most memorable spot at the festival since they were able to make a beer that tasted sharp in the beginning yet could finish with such a nice smooth taste without a heavy chocolaty aftertaste. It was awesome.

Well the beer from the bottle wasn't as fresh, but was pleasing nonetheless. It has a sophisticated dark color which could seem intimidating at first. When you first sip it, it tickles the tonsils with the scotch taste, but not so much that you gag on it. This is quickly followed with a rich malted taste that covers your tongue and then the chocolate kicks in: not heavy, but there to smooth the throat so you are ready for another swig.

Sharp .. Tinge back of throat, roasted caramelized malts, chocolate aftertaste.

I actually prefer the carbonation of the bottle over the keg, but you can tell it is not as fresh. It leaves a bit of a bitter burnt taste, likely from the roasted malts.

I love this brew, and I love this brewery. The west coast beer scene is awesome. And further mind blowing is the fact that these guys are in Surrey, where there really is not all that much to be proud of.

Just an update. Looks like i'm not the only one liking this beer. It won silver in the scotch ale's category at the 2010 Canadian Brewing Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment