Home

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Black Death

Label: Black Death
Type: porter
ABV[%]: 6.5
Packaging: 650ml bottle
Brewery: Russell Breweries, Surrey BC

Smell: barley bit of coffee
Head: thick but dissolves quickly, little lacing
Color: dark purple
Carbonation: medium
Kick: medium
Rating: 8.5/10

Notes:
After a game of indoor soccer and a trip to my local favorite beer store, I felt it was about time that I got back on the job of reviewing beers. You see, the last time I did a review was just before the beer festival. Boy that was fun. Deliciously evil. One of the booths was from Russell breweries and I tried a limited edition brew of a scotch-infused porter (post note: I review this beer later in this blog). It blew my mind. So after seeing about six brews on the shelf of the store, I was excited.

This beer is very, very smooth. It has the right amount of carbonation and is silky on the tongue after a swig. It isn't bitter and you can't tell this is a 6.5 % ABV. I don't know how they squeezed that much fun without leaving a strong alcohol taste. There is a tinge of fruitiness if it lingers in the mouth, and the aftertaste is also mild. You can tell the ingredients are fresh. Just a great brew.

The label is devilishly red and the font is intended to scare you like the name. Which is surprising since after a swig, I can only think of fluffy kitties dancing in a meadow of daisies chasing butterflies. Oh so pretty and serene... Until the ABV catches up with you and you find yourself in the middle if a GWAR concert basking in a pool of fake blood.

Brap on baby, brap on.

No comments:

Post a Comment