Home

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fat Tug IPA

Label: Fat Tug IPA
Type: Pale Ale
ABV[%]: 7.0
Packaging: 650 ml Bottle
Brewery: Driftwood Breweries, Victoria BC

Smell: very hoppy with a tinge of citrus
Head: thin with a rich lacing
Color: golden 
Carbonation: 
Kick: Scotty, beam me up!
Rating: 7/10

Notes:
This is a sharp tasting hoppy ale from the Driftwood masters. It is very refreshing and readily quenches the thirst. It has citrusy notes and leaves a mild bitter aftertaste.  It reports an IBU of about 80, but it isn't as hoppy as some of the brews I've had... Tree's Hophead comes to mind. The malt gives it a slightly darker tinge, but it is clear as crystal. My wife said "that smells like beer", and I guess it does since the aroma is quite strong and full bodied. The aftertaste is not unpleasant and just a tad sour. It definitely leaves with some funky beer breath though. Don't expect smootchy smootchy after a few pints. 

It is very strong. It makes me think of those sailors on those long journeys, needing to fill their bellies and drown their sorrows while at sea. I only had half a beer and it hit me like a cast iron anchor. But you can't tell the ABV is that high, unlike some other beers. So it is a great beer if you want to get smashed on a few pints. Economical. My guess is that it would probably not be as great out a tap since they tend not to have the same consistency of carbonation. Any less and I think the hoppiness would be just too over-powering.

This would probably go great with some tasty west coast salmon.

I love the name. It is a tad naughty, making me giggle like a school girl.

For an out-of-body experience, try this beer with a few muscle relaxants and watch an episode of Law and Order UK. 

Or don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment