Home

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Begbie Cream Ale

Label: Begbie Cream Ale
Type: Ale
ABV[%]: 4.7
Packaging: 650ml bottle
Brewery: Mt. Begbie Brewing Co. Revelstoke, BC

Smell: hops and citrusy
Head: starts thick and rich lacing
Color: beautifully clear amber
Carbonation: medium to high
Kick: low
Rating: 9/10

Notes:
So another night of soccer and I find out that the game is off due to the holidays. Once I found this out, I thought about how I could justify drinking this 650ml bottle that's been teasing me in the fridge. So I decided to spend an hour at the YMCA and earn myself a beer. Seeing all the bubbles in the jacuzzi made me thirsty so I darted home. Unfortunately, Aphex Twin's version of Philip Glass's version of David Bowie's song "Heroes" was on CBC2 (I gotta start listening to Signals!) and I had to check it out.

Wow. Yet another beautifully clear beer from this little brewery in Revelstoke BC. This water isn't from lake Erie. I love the carbonation of this beer: it isn't overbeering as, say some of the commercial brews (Labbats Blue comes to mind) where you just forget about the taste. It is, for me a great balance for a cream ale. In fact, I can beerly detect the "cream" part of this ale. It has very, very little aftertaste like the other beer I reviewed before, and so you could pound these babies back very quickly.

It is not very hoppy and there maybe a really small hint of something obscure... Maybe plums... Maybe not. It is slightly sweet (added honey) and not bitter.

I am absolutely impressed with this beer. I wouldn't call it so much a lager, but it is pretty close, so if your one of those guys who drinks the stuff you see on tv, try this beer. If you you drink this stuff and think your regular crap is better, I feel very, very sorry for you.

1 comment: